- Printed photos
You need 2 identical printed photos if you are applying for a passport using a paper form.
You need either printed or if you’re applying online. You’ll be told as you start your application what type of photo you need.
You must get a new photo when you get a new passport, even if your appearance has not changed.
Your photo must have been taken in the last month.
Your application will be delayed if your photos do not meet the rules.
You need to provide 2 identical photos.
- measure 45 millimetres (mm) high by 35mm wide (the standard size used in photo booths in the UK)
- not be a cut down version of a larger picture
Your photos must be:
- printed to a professional standard
- clear and in focus
- in colour on plain white photographic paper with no border
- without any creases or tears
- unmarked on both sides (unless a photo needs to be countersigned)
- unaltered by computer software
Your photos must:
- be a close-up of your full head and upper shoulders
- contain no other objects or people
- be taken against a plain cream or light grey background
- be in clear contrast to the background
- not have ‘red eye’
In your photo, you must:
- be facing forwards and looking straight at the camera
- have a plain expression and your mouth closed
- have your eyes open and visible
- not have hair in front of your eyes
- not have a head covering (unless it’s for religious or medical reasons)
- not have anything covering your face
- not have any shadows on your face or behind you
The size of your image
The image of you - from the crown of your head to your chin - must be between 29mm and 34mm high.
Photos of babies and children
Children must be on their own in the picture. Babies must not be holding toys or using dummies.
Children under 6 do not have to be looking directly at the camera or have a plain expression.
Children under one do not have to have their eyes open. You can support their head with your hand, but your hand must not be visible in the photo.
Posting your photos
When sending your application, your photos must be:
- separated from each other
- left loose and not attached to your application form
Help us improve GOV.UK
To help us improve GOV.UK, we’d like to know more about your visit today. We’ll send you a link to a feedback form. It will take only 2 minutes to fill in. Don’t worry we won’t send you spam or share your email address with anyone.
Email addressDon’t have an email address?